Ursula K. Le Guin (b. October 21, 1929) on beauty, aging, and what cats and dogs can teach us about self-awareness – superb read.
Monster Girl Monday! True Monster
Have you ever seen The Thing? Not the bad 2011 prequel, the older 1982 version with the disgusting practical effects. That’s what I imagine a true monster to be. Something that can blend in with humanity, but at the same time evolve and change into something that barely resembles a human at all. I’ll admit, all that body horror squicked me out real bad as a youngin, but you just have to recognize good nightmare fuel when it’s there.
A couple years ago there was this sale on Google Play (before it was called that) for apps. I think it was 10 days of different apps being stupid cheap every day… I don’t remember.
Anyway, I got Sims 3. I was like “That should be entertaining” except that none of the devices I had at the time supported it. Well, my new tablet does so yesterday I loaded that shit up.
Well… 6 hours later and way after my bed time I was 1) reminded why I don’t play games like that 2) My character’s ego got too big and she exploded.
I was working on goals and making friends and then like she died without warning for some really random reason and now I don’t want to play anymore because what’s the point?
I was tagged by tribbletron to list my 10 favorite video games. I am really terrible at lists and favorites but here we go.
1) ALL THINGS BORDERLANDS - These games make me so freakin’ happy. Before I played Borderlands I hadn’t been able to play FPS on consoles. I had stopped PC gaming because of my hand issues and thought it was something I had to give up. Borderlands was the game that got me into playing enough that I forgot I was holding a controller so I actually got decent enough to enjoy playing.
2) Red Dead Redemption - That game appeals to my enjoyment of collecting stuff.
3) Doom & Doom II - I don’t need to explain that.
4) Guns N Glory - TD game I play on my phone. I’ve played it all the way through probably 10 times and tend to play random levels on a pretty regular basis.
5) Sonic the Hedgehog - I played this game through in just a few sittings but I had fun playing and have good memories. I probably wouldn’t like playing it now.
6) Leisure Suit Larry - I loved the shit out of that game when I was 12. “Would you like to buy a lubber?”
7) Kaboom! - Old Atari game I played when I was a kid. It made me so angry but I played it whenever my parents let me use the Atari (video game systems were for adults apparently).
8) Wipeout - It came free with the original Playstation system but it was one of my favorite games for that system and not just because of the music. I wish the newer one was as much fun.
9) Brütal Legend - This game is fucking metal.
… I can’t think of a tenth. There are too many games I’ve played that all kind of fit here… like Bioshock, Rachet and Clank, Robo Defense, Sentinel, Xcom, Syndicate, Qbert, etc, etc.